[kictanet] What is the Kenyan position on global Internet governance?

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri May 2 06:32:19 EAT 2014

Well the IGF has worked well, yet it was never meant to be a decision
making platform, we need to refocus and work together as a nation
government, civil society, private sector and academia, it takes great
leadership to facilitate this.

Best Regards

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 11:10 PM, meshack emakunat via kictanet <

> And true the ITU could be an old dog but doesnt bark loud. Through the
> kenya IGF this year, if only it becomes a decision making platfoam then
> kenya can be heard properly and play in the proper league. What if the IGF
> had decision making capabilities?
>
> ------------------------------
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 12:46 PM PDT meshack emakunat wrote:
>

> >------------------------------
> >On Thu, May 1, 2014 12:29 PM PDT meshack emakunat wrote:
> >

> >>Hello. In my view  the internet should be free but this does not imply
> non regulation. it could be true that ICANN owns the internet in the sense
> that it has influence and decision making capabilities. When viewing it
> from the aspect that the internet should be free then i think its only when
> such qualities are 'civil' and can be affected by social, cultural and
> economic forces rather than political. To be more direct to the point, all
> i mean is the internet should never be a resource that is under any
> government's management. We should let the internet take on a laissez faire
> nature if the internet really is a factor for positive development.
> >>

> >>------------------------------
> >>On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 11:36 PM PDT Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet wrote:
> >>
> >>On 29/04/2014, Grace Githaiga via kictanet
> >><kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> >> The Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet
> Governance,
> >> dubbed NETmundial, was held on 23 -24th April 2014 in Sao Paolo,
> Brazil. The
> >> meeting was triggered by the Snowden Effect, in which the former CIA
> agent
> >> leaked damning evidence of how the US government spies on all citizens -
> >> including heads of states from friendly nations.  One of the victims of
> the
> >> US spying operations, Dilma Rousseff, the President of Brazil, felt
> >> motivated enough to mobilise other nations to discuss the governance
> >> structures of the Internet and how this should evolve going forward.
> >>
> http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/walubengo/-/2274560/2296320/-/12dql8iz/-/index.html
> >>

> >>--
> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/memakunat%40yahoo.com
> >>
> >>The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> >>
> >>KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254-20-2498789
Skype: barrack.otieno