[kictanet] A Poison Pill for Safaricom's QoS woes? Will Collymore blink?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Mar 31 04:52:08 EAT 2014

The Kenyan Regulator has presented Safaricom with a catch22 situation:-

Sort out your QoS issues or we will slap you with punitive fines..and by the way we just might not renew your license!
Oh...Also note that for you to be able to sort out your QoS issues you need more frequency than you (or us) currently have.

Wait a minute! There might just be a way out of this conundrum!

Acquire yumobile assets (which include frequencies).

However before we approve your acquisition of these assets which will improve your QoS issues you MUST open up the Safaricom Agent Network.

Question: is it the business of the regulator to ask companies to open up their hard earned Agent Networks?  Is this akin to the Central Bank asking a dominant bank to allow its branches to be operated jointly by other banks? Or should the regulator focus on interoperability of the technology network?

Ali Hussein

+254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad