[kictanet] Digital Migration Appeal Court Ruling: COFEK Response

David Makali dmakali at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 14:52:34 EAT 2014

Wagikunju - the issues you raise are germane to the digital migration, yes, but unfortunately that was not the gist or the focus of the appeal before the court nor the concern or its orders.  Ok, what effort have the media put into lowering the cost of the boxes? Or to sensitize people that the migration is going to happen and so, prepare? Speaking from the same industry but from an entirely public interest perspective, I know what cartels do. Let me ask you: Why are all newspapers priced the same? Yes, expect the same "industrial" behavior when the media have the signal distribution license and they sit alone and decide how much they will charge you to access their content. And you will do nothing about it because there will be no competition. The court of appeal has endorsed media concentration and cemented the skewed landscape with its judgment.

I will say nothing about the claims of "hurried" migration by cck because there is plenty of evidence of long running consultations on the matter including the establishment of migration committees.  Lets wrack our heads and find long lasting solutions in the interest of the country and not just vested interests.

This is official mail. If you doubt the content, call back on +254722517540.