[kictanet] Digital Migration Appeal Court Ruling: COFEK Response

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 09:26:13 EAT 2014

The court ruling as reported in the Daily Nation article is quite confusing.

First, the court is asking the government to reimburse PANG and StarTimes
for their licensing fee and investments. How much will this cost the tax
payer?

Second, the court in supporting its ruling, says media owners have invested
a lot and they shouldn't lose their investment. The media owners will still
lose their investment as digital broadcasting is a new technology that
requires new infrastructure - perhaps the only infrastructure that can be
reused is the towers.

Third, is the court implying that licenses issued by CCK are
unconstitutional?