[kictanet] Got talent? Matiang'i is looking for you

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Sat Mar 22 13:29:15 EAT 2014

Just imagine this:

We have 47 Counties, and each of those Counties require applications to
manage Finance, Procurement, Inventory, HR, Payroll, CRM, Asset Mgmt,
Maintenance, Revenue Collection, Ticket Sales, Lands Administration,
Licenses Administration, Security, DR and 20 other areas

If you came up with a Fund of say of Ksh 300million to anyone who comes up
with applications that would automate any aspect of a County, pay say Ksh
5,3,2 million for the best applications in every category as long as the
guy implements it in a single County, of which you'll provide the link, we
would have at least 10 solid SMEs with enterprise applications in the space
of about a year.

Now, these applications, ought to be made with SaaS in mind, meaning they
can be hosted at a centralized site,to which the Counties connect to,
seeing the GoK Fibre is supposed to be everywhere.

Now, to get the cloud architecture knowledge uptake going, offer Ksh 10M to
any group of 5 guys who can show competency in installing, implementing and
maintaining OpenStack/OpenNebula /Eucalyptus. That Ksh 10M is their pay for
a single year running the County cloud environment, and this they can
continue offering ad infinitum.

Get another Ksh 10M, offer it to another group of 5 guys who can show
proficiency in installing & implementing security applications such as
Snort, ntop, TrueCrypt, OpenNMS, let them offer their security services to
Counties

These are the companies that in a few years time would be good enough to
offer their services to central governments in the region, commercial
entities et.al, and an ICT Industry would have been born.

But, of course everything above doesn't make sense since we need to put it
all together into a single tender that can only be won by a Multi-National,
as top notch Kenyan Engineers are busy making the next best high school
dating application.

Regards

Waithaka Ngigi

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm mystified as well at this obsession with mobile apps.
>
> Not that we should not to them, but there is so much opportunity in other
> sectors - infrastructure, cloud computing, enterprise applications, content
> management that Kenya can not only benefit from, but we can be competitive
> globally.
>
> Looks like mobile apps will be this regime's Pashas & BPOs
>

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Phares Kariuki <pkariuki at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> A fairly narrow view of the technology sector. It's not all mobile.
>>
>> Sent from my mobile device, excuse brevity
>>
>> On 22 Mar 2014, at 04:56, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/m/story.php?articleID=2000107530&story_title=Got-talent-Matiangi-is-looking-for-you

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke