[kictanet] Got talent? Matiang'i is looking for you

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 13:05:59 EAT 2014

Phares, Ngigi, Conrad

Your focus and preference for server side and enterprise desktop mode
solutions is very much appreciated.

However the thousands of local software developers getting into the system
will not fit into just that pie of the value chain you are in for now. More
so, 30m+ mobile subscribers is no small market place for software
entrepreneurs. And nowadays the computer does not have to be on your desk
or lap, in fact most computers among Kenyans are mobile phones. It is not
bad for policy to at least direct the youth towards the opportunity in
mobile.

You'll recall that its a global market place and some of the kids we deride
for writing the so called "mVitus" are earning thee figure dollar checks
monthly from downloads and ads in india, brazil etc. They just wont shout
that aloud. More importantly though M-Pesa is seven years old. Many mobile
solutions targeting local/regional problems will not mature as soon as we
impatiently expect. We're only 3-4 years into the "mobile craze" and  most
serious attempts are not over 3 years old. There's no short cuts to
developing competitive advantages - even in mobile, give it time. If you
are not convinced yet, try the ringtone market and premium SMS services.
Its a whole big economy out there, with big money changing hands, and its
all mobile!

That said, what would you rather the CS did about local enterprise desktop
based solutions and server side services?

Have a nice weekend.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm mystified as well at this obsession with mobile apps.
>
> Not that we should not to them, but there is so much opportunity in other
> sectors - infrastructure, cloud computing, enterprise applications, content
> management that Kenya can not only benefit from, but we can be competitive
> globally.
>
> Looks like mobile apps will be this regime's Pashas & BPOs
>

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Phares Kariuki <pkariuki at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> A fairly narrow view of the technology sector. It's not all mobile.
>>
>> Sent from my mobile device, excuse brevity
>>
>> On 22 Mar 2014, at 04:56, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/m/story.php?articleID=2000107530&story_title=Got-talent-Matiangi-is-looking-for-you

My Blog - www.gmeltdown.com
The ordinary just won't do