[kictanet] New Rules on high speed Internet out

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Mar 21 21:27:54 EAT 2014

In today's Nation, page 39, there is a small story titled:-

New rules on high speed Internet out

I couldn't find a link to the story online but the gist of the story is that the government has issued new wireless broadband spectrum policy guidelines with hopes that it will accelerate internet connectivity to rural areas.

The bottom line is that going forward if this story is to be believed is that:-

1. A PPP company will be set up to build, own and operate a nationwide mobile broadband telecom network and infrastructure.

2. It will not be permitted to offer services directly to customers but will offer whole capacity to existing and new service providers

There has been debate about whether the infrastructure being rolled out by telcos was being done in the most efficient way and whether there was a better way. I would like to congratulate the CS for husbanding this process and would urge him to move with full speed to actualize this. I have always argued that the business of telcos is not for them to roll our individual networks but to collaborate and compete on service delivery with various VAS. Its good to see the government taking this seriously and moving with haste.

One question that I'm sure has been thought out is how to deal with the already existing individual infrastructure.

Ali Hussein

+254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad