[kictanet] Has Safaricom finally met its match?

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Tue Mar 4 10:55:11 EAT 2014

The real chink in Safaricom's armor is that they can't export their model
outside of Kenya.  They can only access 40M users (population of Kenya) and
they don't have the organizational capacity to scale to be a pan-African
player (1B people).  Airtel, Orange, etc... are all thinking big picture
about the next phase which is exporting all the ideas from Kenya to the
rest of the continent and making Big Money.

I think Safaricom is tapped out and will probably grow another 15-20%
before plateauing and suffering from the Innovator's dilemma for an
extended period.

I certainly wouldn't invest in them at this point - it's a one-country play
that's already been played.

--
Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>