[kictanet] ICT AUTHORITY BOARD MEANT TO CURE OLD CONFLICT ISSUES

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Sat Mar 1 15:51:31 EAT 2014

Interesting,

An ICT Association that's not afraid to bite!

I don't know what the specifics of your case are about, but, as I have
intimated in these forums before, until the day someone stands up and seeks
legal recourse to a lot of the ills and corruption in ICT in Kenya, we are
just 'dogs' barking, without biting!

I wish you well in your endeavours, and it is my hope that you will use it
for good.

Regards
Waithaka Ngigi
A1.iO

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Kamotho Njenga <kamothonjenga at gmail.com>wrote:

> Grace,
>
> Thanks for always being generous to share information and updates. I
> appreciate the kind spirit. At the same time, I feel duty bound to bring to
> your attention that the Board appointments to the ICT Authority are the
> subject of a High court case filed by the ICT Association of Kenya on 5th
> February 2014 (Civil Application No 48 0f 2014).
>
> As you may be aware, the sub judice rule regulates commentaries on matters
> which are under consideration by court. Comments are considered sub judice
> once legal proceedings become active which is the situation in the case of
> appointments to the Kenya ICT Authority Board. Principles underlying the
> rule also apply to statements made online. Contravention of the rule is of
> a strict liability nature hence one cannot escape liability by arguing that
> he/she had no intention of prejudicing on-going legal proceedings or that
> he/she did not know that the material was sub judice. Emergent sanctions of
> course come with far reaching effects.
>
> Details on the progress of the case are available at
> http://www.ictak.or.ke/resources/news-and-events/230-ictak-moves-to-high-court
>
> Without prejudice to the right to free debate which is the hallmark of
> KICTANet let's avoid a path that would predictably set us on a collision
> course with the courts. Please be guided.
>
> Kamotho
>

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> In January, Fred Matiang'i, Cabinet Secretary in the Ministry of
>> Information and Communication inaugurated a new ICT Authority Board.
>>

>> He appointed:
>>
>>    1.
>>
>>    Prof Timothy Waema
>>    2.
>>
>>    Ms Esther Kibeere
>>    3.
>>
>>    Ms Bertha Dena
>>    4.
>>
>>    Prof Elijah Omwenga
>>    5.
>>
>>    Mr David Mugo
>>    6.
>>
>>    Mr Ugas Mohamed
>>
>> My knee jerk reaction was that the CS had given a salute to the private
>> sector and civil society "noise makers".
>>

>> http://www.wanjiku.co.ke/2014/02/ict-authority-board-meant-to-cure-old-conflict-issues/

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke