[kictanet] Security Situation in Kenya

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 12:07:18 EAT 2014

Huawei has been Safaricom's infrastrucutre partner since start up. Bear in
mind that Safaricom is also part owned by Vodafone, who are represented on
teh board and can voice any 'western concerns'.

Me thinks teh rest is smoke and mirrors.

Dont forget ZTE also chinese has been angling to get a piece of this pie.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Ngigi Waithaka via kictanet <

> Had a look at this post this morning
> http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000125730/kimaiyo-holds-crisis-meeting-with-kws-kfs-nys-bosses
> and IMO it vindicates my earlier position that the biggest issue to address
> in securing our country is lack of Logistics and a quick response team.
>
> The police are not known to have any serviceable helicopter, the last one
> being the one Prof Saitoti crashed in I think.
>
> So, maybe we ask Safaricom to buy & maintain helicopters instead? Might
> sound funny, but would have a much bigger impact.
>
> Rgds
>

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Ngigi Waithaka <ngigi at at.co.ke> wrote:
>
>> Ali,
>>
>> Tell them...
>>
>> Listers,
>>
>> Decided to do a bit of back-of-napkin math on cost proposal for counter
>> -terrorism as a little lunch exercise.
>>
>> If you were to hire the best 100 guys coming out of our Universities in
>> Computer Science, Maths & Electronics at say Ksh 250k / month each (Ksh 4M
>> / year) to join an elite hacking unit, comparable to NSA, you would do so
>> at a budget of Ksh 400M / Year. Put in another Ksh 400M for Operations and
>> Ksh 1B / Year would be enough to ran this Unit / Year.
>>
>> Go ahead and hire top consultants to teach our guys top-notch Network
>> building, configurations and maintenance and hire the top Huwaei guys here
>> on retainer. Lets say we give them Ksh 15M / Year each, being 10 guys, that
>> works out to Ksh 150M / year to hire consultants who can build and maintain
>> as we learn from them.
>>
>> Our guys would in short order build for you any network you could think
>> of using COTS Equipment and there would *not* be any electronic
>> communication targeting Kenyans that would be out of our reach and more
>> importantly we would be able to roll out and maintain our own security
>> network and perhaps sell our capabilities to Uganda, Ethiopia.
>>
>> So, Ksh 1.5B / Year you have a crack hacking and maintenance unit.
>>
>> How much for the communication equipment?
>> Lets just say you are using the high -end Motorola MC75A, comes at about
>> $2,000 a pop including encryption cards, meaning you can use the already
>> existing mobile networks while giving GoK Personnel their own VPN Channels.
>> If you were to buy one unit for every 2 cops (35,000) in the whole country,
>> you are looking at about Ksh 4B.
>>
>> It still beats me why we would want to build a 4G LTE Security Network
>> that will at most be used by 100,000 Personnel.
>>
>> CCTV, these ones should even be done by Youth Companies, but at Ksh 2,000
>> a pop, you could buy and install 100,000 of these at about Ksh 400M, put
>> another 600M to bring it to Ksh 1B of 100,000 CCTV Cameras installed
>>
>> So at an initial investment of:
>> Ksh 1.5B ->Crack Hacking Unit & Maintenance team
>> Ksh 4B -> Communication Equipment ( 1 in every two cops)
>> Ksh 1B -> 100,000 CCTV Equipment
>> Ksh 2B -> Other Equipment (Servers, Computer Equipment, Software)

> [...]

*Warm Regards,  PETER WAKABA                  AFRICA BUSINESS EDITOR, CCTV
AFRICA             Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it
must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a
lion wakes up, it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will
starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a gazelle or a lion.
When the sun comes up, you better start running.- In "The World is Flat" by
Thomas L. Friedman.*