[kictanet] Stung by cyber attacks, State resolves to host websites locally

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 13:37:32 EAT 2014

Mail was compromised along with sites & social media accounts. I agree with
those who state that there needs to be a comprehensive security policy in
place - a poorly secured site will be hacked whether it's hosted in Kenya
or the US. We have experienced this in the last one odd year, especially
people who have legacy Joomla/Wordpress websites. They don't update them
and next thing you know, they've been compromised.

The argument for local hosting though makes sense primarily from a latency
perspective. Some counties have opted to go for local hosting e.g. Kiambu (
www.kiambu.go.ke) and there is a significant improvement in performance.
Additionally, there's a lot to be said for data residency especially in
this age of mass surveillance of other governments by the US etc. However,
this needs to be congruent - mail, applications etc all need to be local
otherwise it's a little moot to move the site but still have no control of
the applications.

All I can say is that there is more than enough expertise in
cloud/infrastructure/hosting/security etc in Kenya that it can be managed
well if the right contractors are chosen. After all, our financial services
outfits (Equity, KCB etc) all run their IT systems locally and they've
managed to find the expertise.

>From personal experience, you can find the right talent, you just need to
figure out the right incentives (disclaimer, interested party, I'm running
the platform on which the Kiambu County site is hosted, Angani).

There are options, there is expertise. We just need to figure out where
this breaks down for government. Is it the contractors they choose, lack of
in house expertise or lack of budget.