[kictanet] Our newly rebranded communications regulator faces many challenges

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Jul 4 06:13:18 EAT 2014

@Walu

Nice piece of citizen journalism :)

Seriously though, there's a lot to praise CA for all the achievements they have accomplished in some case in difficult circumstances. It's curious though that you chose to compare it with other parastatals in the country and not other regulators in its space. Me thinks that's setting the bar too low..

A few years ago the then CCK was voted the best regulator in Africa. That's kudos well deserved.

Now lets move on to the new challenges facing the country and the world in a post WCIT12, Snowdenia, Alshabaab and other challenges.

Is the new framework well predisposed to tackle the new challenges? One of the key issues IMO  is that the whole governmental space on ICT need to address the 3 key issues facing it:-

1. Who is responsible for policy
2. Who is responsible for execution of policy
3. Who is responsible for regulation

Sometimes there (were) are confusing signals where CCK used to do all of the above, ICTA chips in, Ministry muscles into regulation etc.

If CA is to move into the future and better their performance they will need all the support and political will from the other arms of government within ICT.

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad