[kictanet] KENIC Board Statement on dot.KE

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Jan 31 19:31:34 EAT 2014

Clearly COFEK knows nothing about the domain name industry.

The registry's work is to maintain all administrative data of the domain
and generates a zone file which contains the addresses of the nameservers
for each domain. Kenic is a registry for .ke. Other registries are ZADNA
for .za, Nominet UK for .uk,  PIR for .org and Verisign for .com and .net. A
 domain name registry is a database of all domain names and the associated
registrant information in the top level domains of the DNS of the internet that
allow third party entities to request administrative control of a domain
name. From this explanation, you should understand that any particular
registry cannot have a competitor managing the same database.

A domain name registrar is a commercial entity that manages the reservation
of Internet domain names. A domain name registrar must be accredited by a
registry (KENIC, Nominet UK, Verisign, PIR e.t.c). There are
many registrars in Kenya see
http://kenic.or.ke/index.php/registrars/registrar-list and their work is to
market the domains to the end users. For .com, org e.t.c we have enom,
godaddy, 1and1 e.t.c. The registrars do a very important role in the
ecosystem, this being innovation, marketing, and value added services like
emails, website hosting, and website development. A registry will be
overwhelmed doing all this.

And if you can get time to go over the registrar list at
http://kenic.or.ke/index.php/registrars/registrar-list you will find that
you can register a .ke domain online in less than 5 minutes, and pay online.

I'm not sure what you mean by Yahoo and Gmail are insecure. The last time I
checked, cofek.co.ke was not signed.

Please get somebody who understand the workings of DNS and the web business
in your team before issuing unilateral statements. This way, you will avoid
embarrassing yourself and your team.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya.
twitter.com/lordmwesh
google ID | Skype ID: lordmwesh