[kictanet] Innovation & Patents

Ken Okong'o ken_okongo at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 17:11:47 EAT 2014

Philip, I think there’s a fundamento difference between an innovator and an inventor. I’d say invention is the creation of a new product or introduction of a new process while innovation naturally happens when one improves on or makes a significant contribution to something that has already been invented.
For instance, while Steve Jobs was an innovator, Thomas Edison was an inventor. The latter’s was novel idea without precedent.
Overall, technology is an aggregation of all existing inventions and innovations. Because of this u will also realize from the stats you shared that economies that invest much on the inventive talents become potential sources of innovation and new technologies. However, the measure of the level of patented inventions available for innovation is just one indicator that can serve as a measure of inventive output.