[kictanet] Who will be the winner in cashless payment for public transport sector?

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 19:16:18 EAT 2014

good luck enforcing that.

With one statement last week the Matatu association Boss Dickson Mbugua put
paid to this mode of thinking.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:12 PM, <emuchiri at andestbites.com> wrote:

>  *>Who will be the winner in cashless payment for public transport
> sector?*
>
> Telecoms and financial institutions are likely to be at the centre of the
> new transition to a cashless payments. Regulations by the Cabinet Secretary
> for Transport and Infrastructure will see all public service vehicles
> required to use an electronic payment system starting 1st July 2014. Equity
> Bank and Google BebaPay prepaid plastic card launched in 1Q13 has made some
> inroad in payments but no data is currently publicly available on the
> number of users and volumes. Safaricom has registered over 1,300 public
> transport vehicles and taxis in its Lipa na M-Pesa platform. Either way,
> cash payments are still the predominant mode of payment for public
> transport.
>
> There are currently over 22,000 public transport vehicles and around 1.5m
> journies daily in Kenya by our estimate implying a wide gap to achieve full
> penetration. Cash payments pose a number of challenges to authorities with
> tax compliance, corruption and money laundering ranking high in concerns.
> The Economic Survey 2013 values Kenya’s road passenger transport business
> at KES 205 bn. The new rules on cashless payments will pit financial
> companies and telecoms which will bid to dominate the payments made in the
> sector.
>
> In China, China UnionPay and China Telecom, the largest players in their
> respective markets agreed to a comprehensive cooperation agreement with the
> aim to conducting an all-round cooperation in the financial payment and
> communication service areas, jointly expand the bankcard application in the
> communication and e-commerce fields and elevate the service level of the
> financial payment which is based on the communication network.
> Particularly, the partnership between the two big companies is expected to
> create a synergy in the mobile payment domain and co-promote the
> development of the mobile payment industry. We believe that this will be
> what will happen in Kenya where financial institutions will use the wide
> reach of telecommunications companies to reach the consumer. Whereas the
> urban public transport regulations now only require paper ticketing, we see
> an evolution where a personal smart chip card will eventually become a
> standard.
>
> (KNBS, Business Daily, Standard Investment Bank)

*Warm Regards,  PETER WAKABA                  AFRICA BUSINESS EDITOR, CCTV
AFRICA             Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it
must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a
lion wakes up, it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will
starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a gazelle or a lion.
When the sun comes up, you better start running.- In "The World is Flat" by
Thomas L. Friedman.*