[kictanet] HP says laptop bid price changed to favour rival Olive

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Wed Feb 19 15:08:54 EAT 2014

It's called mercantilism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercantilism) and it
can actually work as pointed out with certain industries.  I won't claim to
be an economist but if a country wants to be more mercantilist, it needs to
meet a few basic requirements:

1. Very smart technocrat class making smart decisions about what industries
to nurture.
2. Consistency over time (i.e. 10-15 years).
3. Limited focus (i.e. pick 3-4 industries, not 20).

I just hope that Kenya doesn't choose to put its chips into a 20 year old
industry that doesn't even exist here and has already plateaued globally,
i.e. laptop assembly.

--
Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>