[kictanet] HP says laptop bid price changed to favour rival Olive

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Tue Feb 18 17:36:38 EAT 2014

If this line is true,

"*...The technology firm further says it was invited through a letter dated
December 6, but which was delivered on the morning of negotiations,
allowing them no time to prepare...*."

Then you know HP is being played for sucker, and I think they are....

The only option on the table, prepare themselves for a Judicial Review
(Takes about a year to conclude), PPARB decisions IMO are not based on
substance, and if they are, its of a different kind!

Waithaka Ngigi

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM, S.M. Muraya <murigi.muraya at gmail.com>wrote:

> What did Olive Telcom offer in terms of local assembly/support,
> maintenance and connectivity?
>

> http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/HP-says-tender-team-rigged-pricing-of-laptops-for-rival/-/539546/2210772/-/view/printVersion/-/4t0eatz/-/index.html
>
> HP says laptop bid price changed to favour rival Olive
>
> IN SUMMARY
>
>   * HP says Olive Telecommunications had on December 13 quoted a price of
> Sh23.1 billion as its final offer.
>
>   * Computer maker also claims Olive and Haier are associates that should
> not have been allowed to place separate bids.
>
>   * The allegations add to the controversy that has stalked procurement of
> laptops for primary schools.
>
> Senior government officials colluded with executives of an Indian company
> to inflate prices for the controversial laptops tender by as much as Sh1.4
> billion after the final bids were made, it has emerged.
>
> American computer maker Hewlett Packard (HP) says Olive Telecommunications
> -- the Indian company that won the tender to supply the laptops -- had on
> December 13 quoted a price of Sh23.1 billion ($268,899, 669) as its final
> offer.
>
> But Education secretary Jacob Kaimenyi later announced that Olive
> Telecommunications had won the tender to supply the laptops at a price of
> 24.5 billion ($284,814,957) without reference to the alterations.
>
> "It is clear from the foregoing that the procuring entity amended the
> total price quoted by the successful bidder and which was read out at the
> opening of BAFO (Best and Final Offer) and awarded it (Olive) the sum of
> $15,914,288 (Sh1.4 billion) more than it had actually quoted," says HP in
> documents filed Thursday before the Public Procurement Administrative
> Review Board (PPARB).
>
> HP also alleges that Olive and rival bidder Haier, which was among the
> three shortlisted bidders for the supply of 1.3 million laptops, are
> related companies that should never have been allowed to submit competing
> bids meant to lock out rivals.
>
> According to HP, the tender committee should have disqualified Olive and
> Haier Group's applications on grounds that the two companies are related
> and could not place separate bids.
>
> "To the procuring entity's knowledge the said two companies had previously
> entered into a joint venture to form Haier Telkom (India), a company that
> is still active," says HP.
>
> The allegations add to the controversy that has stalked procurement of
> laptops for primary schools.
>
> HP accuses the tender committee of colluding with Olive Communications to
> undermine rival bidders.
>
> The American firm claims that Ministry of Education officials allowed
> Olive to submit an incomplete price list that left room for price
> manipulation and enabled the Indian firm to overtake it [HP] as the lowest
> bidder.
>
> In an application filed through Nairobi law firm Iseme Kamau and Maema
> [...]

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke