[kictanet] Airtel KE & Caller ID misnomer: BEWARE Hiding Caller ID will prevent you from making calls on Airtel Network!!

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 16:45:06 EAT 2014

First of all, sorry for cross-posting.

I have spend a better part of today on calls with Airtel Customer Care, an
Airtel Techie and an Airtel Customer Care Team Leader trying to figure out
why a colleague could not make calls from his line. If he dialled any
number, it would not go, with 'Check Operator Services' being displayed on
the screen. More than 10 calls to Airtel and all I was being told is 'do a
lock-up', 'we've refreshed the line', 'do a lock-up' and all this didn't
solve

Finally at 1620hrs, I call the number for Customer Care Team Leader and he
asks me to check the SenderID setting under 'Call Settings' on the phone. I
find that 'Send Caller ID' is set to disabled. He tells me to enable it and
then try calling and voila! I am able to call. So I ask him why so and he
tells me that on Airtel's network, if you hide Caller ID, you will NOT be
able to make calls.

I tested that option on my own phone and for sure I am not able to call,
but at least it tells me 'Check Caller ID sending'...
I tested that option on another phone with Safaricom SIM Card and I was
able to make calls to Airtel, Safaricom, Landline...

Someone please tell me what this is supposed to achieve, besides the fact
that I believe this setting should be set at the pleasure of the phone
user.When did CCK introduce this legislation and why is Safaricom (and
probably other MNOs) not adhering to it??

IIRC, nowhere in my contract with Airtel did they mention that it's their
discretion to decide on this option.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,