[kictanet] KENIC Board Statement on dot.KE

Consumers Federation of Kenya (COFEK) hotline at cofek.co.ke
Mon Feb 3 11:27:41 EAT 2014

Dear Mr Kivuva,

Good morning. I have consulted and wish to respond as follows; Save for what
amounts to your consistent hate-speech against Cofek on diverse occasions,
we do welcome your criticism in good faith. Our concern was on the
commercial end of the stick and not the technical side where you are
certainly an expert without question. We are not as good. But even as an IT
expert, whenever you fall or will ever fall sick, you don't need a degree
from medical school to rate medical services as a consumer of those
services.

On the issue of KENIC, where the rubber meets the road is not their back-end
knowledge of the industry - but the pricing and quality of service as
interpreted by the consumer(s). That it was a mistake for the regulator to
have engaged in "business" as a shareholder of KENIC was wrong. We
appreciate that CAK wish to have its unspecified volume of shares
transferred to KICTA. You probably have seen a separate mail confirming that
KENIC are housed by CAK (full-financed by the taxpayer) and have not been
paying rent. Given the public interest, therefore, it is only fair that the
Kenya National Audit Office will peruse the books of accounts of KENIC and
make them public before the said transfer from CAK to KICTA.

We are, therefore, ready to "embarrass" ourselves by demanding and ensuring,
at all reasonable and lawful costs, that KENIC is made much more competitive
and that the industry is opened up to other interested parties. That is all
we were saying.

Finally, allow me to urge that dissenting opinion is embraced on this list.
We are ready to learn from each other but let us not dismiss others that
they "know nothing ." which generalizations can't be proven scientifically.
The kind of e-mob-justice is not healthy. As they say, a little courtesy
won't hurt. Good day!

Kind regards,

Japheth Ogutu

www.cofek.co.ke