[kictanet] LTE/4G and the state of broadband and Universal Access in Kenya

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Dec 11 12:38:33 EAT 2014

On 9 December 2014 at 16:51, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) <nmutungu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this discussion.
> Universal access gets complicated when one company is ahead of government in providing access to remote areas. Such a company will definitely want/deserves a say in how the fund is managed.

I think the USF should be managed in public interest because the funds
belong to the public. The 0.5% is a levy that does not belong to
anybody but the masses. Which brings the next point

> So on representation to the USF board, let private sector and civil society also have seats. It would be a good balance of interests.
> Regards

True Grace, now for the funds to be utilised well, and to be able to
balance all interests, the private sector and civil society too should
have seats on the USF board. And this is something we should be very
firm on. Probably at the end of these discussion, one of the
recommendations on the report will be balanced representation. I hope
the CS will be able to digest it.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk
on higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson