[kictanet] Digital migration (Decorders)

Consumers Federation of Kenya (COFEK) hotline at cofek.co.ke
Tue Dec 9 13:26:50 EAT 2014

Dear Mr Muthengi,

We appreciate your kind opinion and advise you that Cofek has planned a
public forum on #DigitalMigration on Thursday, December 11, 2014 from 7.00
am to 11.00 am. The event will be officiated by ICT Secretary Dr Fred
Matiang'i. The meeting is aimed at creating awareness on some of the issues
you are raising.

We have been clearly informing consumers that there is a difference between
pay-tv (cheaper but with subscriptions) and FTA(one-off but expensive)
decoders. We have also shared the CA link of all other STB vendors.
Apparently, you seem to be the only one complaining. Unknown to you, we were
part of the exercise that negotiated with GotvKenya and StarTimesKenya on
lowering the cost of their set top boxes in order to trigger price cuts. You
must, however, understand that they make their own business decisions.

We will continue to work with all key stakeholders the pay-tv vendors, CA
and MOICT to sensitize consumers on the information you have shared. You are
also invited to our Thursday event. We will be happy to give you a brief
opportunity to add value to the need for more sensitization. Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,

David Kedode

(for Cofek)