[kictanet] LTE/4G and the state of broadband and Universal Access in Kenya

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Tue Dec 9 12:14:09 EAT 2014

Walu,

The best response to your article is in the comments:

"4G brings with it unique capabilities like VoLte with lean radio protocol
stack...3G voice is only possible with forced 2G fall back..so we need
4G...one will not need 2 radio access types to obtain service...one lean 4G
radio access is enough...the capex is also low given smaller equipment
footprint..."

4G/LTE deployments aren't really that much more expensive than 3G as I
understand it.  The big difference is the 'cost' of the spectrum - which is
whatever the market will bear.  If Safaricom can sell LTE to the 1% and
that makes enough money to pay well for the spectrum license and GoK then
uses that money for the USF to build 3G towers in rural areas - then that's
really great.

What would be better is a decoupling of the tower system from the providers
and then there can be a single LTE network run by a utility that rents
space in a well regulated way to the MNOs ... but even though Rwanda is
doing that, I don't see Kenya following in that path.

-Adam

--
Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Walubengo J via kictanet <