[kictanet] LTE/4G and the state of broadband and Universal Access in Kenya

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Dec 9 09:44:07 EAT 2014

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Nothing is as great as high internet speed. That is the mantra on
Safaricom's 4G page (1). Safaricom's 4G/LTE service is the first of
its kind in the region and promises a browsing experience like never
before. Long Term Evolution  (LTE) is a standard for wireless
communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data
terminals.(2)

To use LTE you need a 4G capable Device (phone/tablet/modem), Change
to a 4G enabled SIM card  and be in an area covered by the 4G service
i.e. Some parts of Nairobi and Mombasa.

With the rollout of 4G in some parts of Nairobi and Mombasa, we are
exploring the state of "real" broadband in Kenya, the cost to the
common citizen, and coverage. As we continue to privilege those of us
in urban areas, how are we catering for the interests and needs of the
marginalized?

TESPOK in August issued a statement (3) advising it's members not to
pay Universal Service Fund (4) until they meet with the Communications
Authority Director General and ICT cabinet Secretary to clearly define
the procedures and processes of administering the 0.5% of operators'
annual revenues. What is the current state of USF in Kenya? Is it
operational? Is the 0.5% sufficient to have any impact in society?

Are the USF Council members (5) representative of the Internet
community in Kenya? Are all stakeholders interests taken into
consideration in forming the council? Would these distinguished
citizens know the troubles the user in Kitui goes through when he has
to climb a flag-post to get network signal, or the parcel that arrives
in Lokitang after a month?

Internet Society Kenya Chapter and Kictanet seeks to engage in a
series of online discussions covering various trending issues which
will culminate in a public consultative forum with industry and
policymakers to share the feedback from the community and see how best
we can influence and shape the Internet landscape in Kenya.

Your valuable contribution is always appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
Secretary, Internet Society Kenya.

NOTES