[kictanet] For sale: Systems that can secretly track where cellphone users go around the globe

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 14:40:05 EAT 2014

This is just more doomsday news reporting. Cell phones have been tracked
since they were invented. Its like saying you want a landline that ensures
privacy. Exactly how would this be achieved even if the telco wanted to do
it?

The provider must track your location just so as to provide the service in
the first place. All they are doing now is allowing the government to have
a look at their database.

In my opinion the problem is not that the government has access it is that
the guy being snooped on does not know its happening.

Estonia is decades ahead with their X-Road platform that allows citizens
just as much access to their data as the government.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Dennis Kioko via kictanet <

> I'm not sure governments are getting any more value from such systems
> besides trying to satisfy an unending appetite for spying on users.
>
> At the end of the day, I don't see this being of much benefit to
> governments, but will instead end up to them falling out of favour with
> citizens.
>
> The spying also risks not achieving the goal of stopping terrorism, if
> that was the original goal rather than an excuse.
> On 26 Aug 2014 07:39, "Martin Gicheru via kictanet" <
>
>> The more technology becomes necessary the more we lose our privacy. I
>> think people are gradually accepting this fact, that we have been owned
>> where privacy is concerned.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin Gicheru
>> Editor Techweez
>> On 25 Aug 2014 23:33, "ICT Researcher via kictanet" <
>>

>>> By Craig Timberg August 24 at 7:02 PM
>>>
>>> Makers of surveillance systems are offering governments across the world
>>> the ability to track the movements of almost anybody who carries a
>>> cellphone, whether they are blocks away or on another continent.
>>>
>>> The technology works by exploiting an essential fact of all cellular
>>> networks: They must keep detailed, up-to-the-minute records on the
>>> locations of their customers to deliver calls and other services to them.
>>> Surveillance systems are secretly collecting these records to map people’s
>>> travels over days, weeks or longer, according to company marketing
>>> documents and experts in surveillance technology.
>>>
>>> The world’s most powerful intelligence services, such as the National
>>> Security Agency and Britain’s GCHQ, long have used cellphone data to track
>>> targets around the globe. But experts say these new systems allow less
>>> technically advanced governments to track people in any nation — including
>>> the United States — with relative ease and precision.
>>>
>>> Users of such technology type a phone number into a computer portal,
>>> which then collects information from the location databases maintained by
>>> cellular carriers, company documents show. In this way, the surveillance
>>> system learns which cell tower a target is currently using, revealing his
>>> or her location to within a few blocks in an urban area or a few miles in a
>>> rural one.
>>>
>>> Read more at:
>>>

>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/for-sale-systems-that-can-secretly-track-where-cellphone-users-go-around-the-globe/2014/08/24/f0700e8a-f003-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html?wpisrc=nl-tech&wpmm=1

Regards,

Mark Mwangi

markmwangi.me.ke