[kictanet] Social Media and the ‘Spiral of Silence’, a Pew Research Center report

Gideon gideonrop at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:04:24 EAT 2014

FYI,

*Social Media and the ‘Spiral of Silence’*

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/08/26/social-media-and-the-spiral-of-silence/?utm_source=Pew+Internet+Newsletter&utm_campaign=26ae0dc2f6-Spiral_Silence_082614&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_79a7fe984b-26ae0dc2f6-399112421

An interesting report by Pew Research

We set out to study this by conducting a survey of 1,801 adults.2
<http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/08/26/social-media-and-the-spiral-of-silence/?utm_source=Pew+Internet+Newsletter&utm_campaign=26ae0dc2f6-Spiral_Silence_082614&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_79a7fe984b-26ae0dc2f6-399112421#fn-11806-2>
It focused on one important public issue: Edward Snowden’s 2013 revelations
of widespread government surveillance of Americans’ phone and email
records. We selected this issue because other surveys by the Pew Research
Center at the time we were fielding this poll showed that Americans were
divided
<http://www.people-press.org/2013/06/17/public-split-over-impact-of-nsa-leak-but-most-want-snowden-prosecuted/>
over whether the NSA contractor’s leaks about surveillance were justified
and whether the surveillance policy itself was a good or bad idea.
<http://www.people-press.org/2014/01/20/obamas-nsa-speech-has-little-impact-on-skeptical-public/>
For instance, Pew Research found in one survey that 44% say the release of
classified information harms the public interest while 49% said it serves
the public interest.

An informed citizenry depends on people’s exposure to information on
important political issues and on their willingness to discuss these issues
with those around them. The rise of social media, such as Facebook and
Twitter, has introduced new spaces where political discussion and debate
can take place. This report explores the degree to which social media
affects a long-established human attribute—that those who think they hold
minority opinions often self-censor, failing to speak out for fear of
ostracism or ridicule. It is called the “spiral of silence.”

Regards
Gideon Rop
DotConnectAfrica