[kictanet] Africa needs africa-specific solutions to develop

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:50:05 EAT 2014

Thanks Harry,

Boom. This topic is important, complicated, and not yet fully understood.

But the fact of the matter is you can not sell a TV set in a kiosk, you
need to sell it at a hyper market. And for a kiosk to become a hyper
market, it needs to start selling bread, butter, and milk, make profits,
scale, become a hyper market 5 years down the line. This is how we handle
Africa: we need to grow Africa by steadily building solutions that fit our
situation, and solve problems that can then allow us to scale to develop
1st world solutions.

A number of software solutions that come out of India (unless outsourced by
an agency) focus mostly on trade and commerce automation. It works for
them, it works for the world. It is pocket friendly to the rest of the
world.

Point being we can never put the cart before the horse.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Harry Hare | African eDevelopment
Resource Centre via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> John Musungu, CEO, GSK Kenya has an interesting perspective on innovation
> and the need to think scalability and sustainability on innovation and
> especially within the health sector. http://youtu.be/fSO0UHHcNdc
>
> Harry Hare
>
> Director  |  African eDevelopment Resource Centre
> PO Box 49475 00100 | Nairobi, Kenya
> Tel +254 20 4041646  |  Cel +254 725 650044

Ahmed Maawy
Shaper - Global Shapers
Executive Director - M-Power (CBO)
Ambassador - Open Knowledge