[kictanet] State to partner with Israeli firm to create online database of Kenyans

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:18:35 EAT 2014

between google, facebook and safaricom, we already have over 20 million
kenyans with photos, ID numbers, and regular movements digitized. The
government had been hunting down algorithms to work across this platforms.
Some govt minion let that slip when they launched Mswari months back.

In other places, facial recognition based street camera's combined with
social media info and mobile phone gps location are now standard.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM, S.M. Muraya via kictanet <

> Not sure why we need Israelis to build this database for Kenya. They could
> guide/train us but it is not for non Kenyans to lead its development and
> management.
>

> http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Online-Database-Technology-Public-Servants-Profile/-/996/2421390/-/svf5fw/-/index.html
>
> Kenyan State to partner with Israeli firm to create online database of
> Kenyans
>
> Note comments made in 2009.....
>
> *Israel Poised To Pass National I.D. Database Law*
>
> By Nathan Jeffay
>
> Published August 12, 2009, issue of August 21, 2009.
>
> HAIFA, ISRAEL — Israel may become the only democratic country to take
> biometric information from all citizens and store it in a database.
>
> The plan, approved by a Knesset committee and set for a final vote in the
> fall, is expected to pass easily, as the largest opposition party and the
> government support the bill. But that apparently won’t prevent outraged
> human rights organizations, academics and grass-roots activists from
> spending the rest of the summer protesting the plan.
>
> Champions of the database say it is crucial for Israel’s security. “The
> danger to the state in the present situation, in which there is no database
> of biometric information, is critical,” according to Kadima lawmaker Meir
> Sheetrit, who drafted the bill.
>
> But opponents say that it actually will jeopardize security. “If such a
> database gets in the hands of a foreign country or terrorist organization,
> they will be able to identify any Israeli anywhere by their fingerprints or
> their picture,” claimed computer security expert Eli Biham, dean of
> computer science at Israel’s leading high-tech research institution, the
> Haifa-based Technion – Israel Institute of Technology.
>
> Read more:
> http://forward.com/articles/112033/israel-poised-to-pass-national-id-database-law/#ixzz3AavDDUx5

*Warm Regards,  PETER WAKABA                  AFRICA BUSINESS EDITOR, CCTV
AFRICA             Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it
must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a
lion wakes up, it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will
starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a gazelle or a lion.
When the sun comes up, you better start running.- In "The World is Flat" by
Thomas L. Friedman.*