[kictanet] National Broadband Strategy FINAL POSITION

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 26 05:19:19 EAT 2013

@Bobby,

I am not Catherine (Nyaki) but I do get your drift.  That indeed the projections for mobile uptake was completely off-target. And perhaps then so will our Broadband targets.

But targets are like that. It depends on what is/are your assumptions.   You can base your targets on exceptional disruptive realities (such moblie technology had over the fixed lines) or chose a more cautious approach (while still hoping this would be disrupted by new technologies).

I know you run a business and so this could be a question to consider:  Would you like your finance manager/director to predict your next years Revenues based on a cautious last years Revenue or would you rather work with a prediction that is based on some one-off "bumber" harvest your experienced a while back?

Both predictions are acceptable, depending on the level of risk you want to take. At a national level, one would be more comfy with a cautious prediction - while still being quite happy if proved otherwise with some disruptive technologies of the future.  The flipside of this ofcourse  would be to plan for ambitious targets that presuppose a disruptive technology in mind - but  if it does not occur then you are more miserable than if it did.

walu.