[kictanet] Have we failed the nation yet again?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 17:06:39 EAT 2013

@Daktari,

It is a little difficult to respond when you pull out the patriotism card but that has never been reason enough to keep me quiet.

I will first digress, if there was a viral epidemic that killed within a few hours of infection would your advice be for us to wait it out or while curative measures where going on would you also have preventive measures being carried out simultaneously?

The KDF are carrying out the curative activity we should be working at preventive measures and having askaris ask people to leave their ID cards at the reception as they enter buildings such as at TelePosta Building does not count.

What I want to prevent is the return to lethargy, that we are so famous for, which will creep in soon after the dust settles, what I am doing is throwing stones in the dark to ascertain if there is anyone out there and it seems there is as I got you typing.  I suspect your appearance has something to do with tinted windows on government vehicles do not worry I do not hold it against you it seemed like part of the JD.

Like with the 30,000 spectators are a soccer much I do am an expert coach when it comes to criticizing those on the pitch, that does not make me less a supporter and in the same way a player on the pitch does not refuse to listen to the coach because he was not on the pitch, the days of payer coaches are long gone so do not refute my contributions because I am not in the center of the action.

If certain resources had been spent on other activities other than android application developments, forcing youth who would rather have been welding wheel borrows to setup Pasha Centers or trying to convert coders into business plan writers maybe, and I stand corrected, a number would have gone into other fields such as security and surveillance.

The marine cable brings us a lot of entertainment but it has worked against our search for local applications of broadband and its related applications, I am bitter that we keep bragging of being an ICT enabled society yet all we do is visit social media sites, make payments using mobile money and fete foreign developers who have setup base locally and perform little to no skills transfers.  In terms of usage of technology is like a crutch we do not know how to leverage it, carrying a dual core smartphone does not make you tech savvy.

We have failed the country yet again just as we have kept doing over the years.

Regards

"na jivunia kuwa mkenya" - I was in the forefront of the tribeKenya initiative , we gave 610,000 Kenyans the opportunity to respond to the tribe question as "Kenya"

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200