[kictanet] National Broadband Strategy

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 10:40:10 EAT 2013

@Walu I do not understand this logic. So the capacity is there but the
demand is not? By demand I mean those who can afford it. I always say that
Infrastructure must come before demand. Whether that is fueled commercially
or by govt intervention by policy or funding either way infrastructure
backbone must exist. And this means to the residential or business area and
preferably to the house.

As the case of Chattanooga, Kenya power could easily do this and simply add
fiber as a utility. I believe dropping a fiber cable to each and every
transformer in their network will enable faster inclusion and achievement
of broadband for all.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bobby, Eng. Kariuki,
>
> I happen to know the team of bright chaps who facilitated the production
> of the Natinal Broadband Strategy - and I can assure it was not done in
> some isolated nad exclusive dark room :-)
>
> They tell me that in setting targets, on must be appreciate where we are
> today in order to project where you expect to b in nxt 5yrs. 5MB per USER
> by 2017 may look poor compared to the US but did you know that some of our
> newer Universities can only afford 10MB for their 3000+ students?
>
> You must also differentiate between capacity (of technology/bandwidth)
>  vis a viz actual bandwidth projected to be USED. Right now in Kenya, our
> Operators have the technologies and capacities  to deliver even 10MB per
> USER for each of the 16m Internet users in Kenya. But do they?
>
> The answer is big NO. The average Kenyan uses cannot afford a fiber or
> wireless link of 10MB per month. In the broadband strategy we need to work
> on the dynamics that would make this average Kenyan afford and USE at least
> 5MBs per month.
>
> Now u might be begin to see that even that 5MB per user per month by 2017
> is not an easy target.
>
> walu.
>
> ------------------------------
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 8:03 PM AST (Arabian) John Kariuki wrote:
>
> >Robert, Listers
> >
> >I would agree with Robert that 40 mbps in 5 years is a rather low target
> for urban areas and we should  achieve higher speeds in the next 2 to 3
> years. 5 years in ICT is a very very long time!
> >

> >John Kariuki.

Regards,

Mark Mwangi

markmwangi.me.ke