[kictanet] NSA Tapping into Google & Yahoo Networks? How is Kenya protected?

John Kariuki ngethe.kariuki2007 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 20:57:42 EAT 2013

Walu,

I beg to differ. Even if you outsourced internet  security, I wonder how you would outsource the  risks.This issue is not just about governments snooping. Less reported and  even much more are private parties ruthlessly spying on others while  pursuing commercial gain against competitors and you will be shocked to learn the extent to which they can go.
As more and more governments and companies go online, the stakes become higher and higher as opportunities to make huge returns increase.
Cyber security is no longer an option, it is essential.
We have CID chief,NSIS chief etc. Cyber threats are even greater since the enemy is global and often invisible.
So who  is the Cybersecurity Chief in Kenya?

John Kariuki

On Thursday, 31 October 2013, 19:14, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

On 31 October 2013 16:49, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>On Thu, 10/31/13, Phares Kariuki <pkariuki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>We need to bring the latter back home simply because the US has proven it cannot be trusted… It’s not that the galvanised internet is the best option, it’s simply a compromise because some people have broken trust…
>

>I totally agree. I am for local content, local hosting, local, local this and the other.  What I find difficult to understand is the myth that once something is local, then it is safer.

Walu, not necessarily a myth, maybe a fallacy.
If your classified data is out there with third party hosts, you have already given it away. You have no control on how it will be used, even with slogans like "don't be evil". :)

On the other hand, if you have hosted your content, you are the master of your fate. Your competence will determine the security level you give your sensitive data.

We need to be careful not to mix security with being local. Let us have two independent tracks on the issues.  Lets build local content to increase uptake, reduce latency, perhaps pricing, etc.  But I would hate to imagine our NSIS director briefing our President that we are very secure because we have made all our ICT infrastructure local.