[kictanet] NSA Tapping into Google & Yahoo Networks? How is Kenya protected?

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Oct 31 18:56:07 EAT 2013

On 31 October 2013 15:28, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 11:59 +0300, Ali Hussein wrote:
> > Listers
> >

> > There is a case for a hybrid approach to Internet Security and
> > Governance. No one wants Balkanisation of the Internet but no one also
> > wants one country controlling most of the levers that run the Internet
> > running roughshod over everyone else!!
>
> I believe that the owner of an e-mail account should have their mailbox
> as close as they can to themselves.
> If its a company mail box - host the mail server at the office.
> If its for a private individual, use the local ISP.
> I can not see a need to use services such as gmail - unless the service
> at the ISP or your company is completely dreadful.
> That should be an opportunity to get things fixed.
>
> Keeping mail as local as possible should just make common sense.

+1 Mark
I feel you. I wonder if there is a study on how much users of the global
south pay for data transit because most of the content is hosted in the
global north.

The same holds for web sites - unless your target audience is worldwide
> and  evenly dispersed. If a website has a local orientation - it should
> be local. I guess the same could be said for the Domain names that are
> used.

+1
.de and .za have done wonderful in this aspect.

> "Cloud" storage (the fancy newish name for keeping systems in an ISP's
> Data-Centre - which has been around for years) - should be localised or
> at least in the same country. The primary reason for not doing this
> would be for disaster recovery purposes - where you require a copy of
> your data a hundred or more kilometres from where you are for "safety"
> sake..
>
> All of the above should help local connectivity grow in speed/efficiency
> and drop in price.
>
> This should not stop the Internet as a whole from continuing to be
> important. Fragmentation would be bad, really bad. Building new
> international fibre links - eg BRICS - Brazil --> South Africa --> India
> --> China --> Russia - is a good thing. More redundant links. I'm pretty
> sure though that all the BRICS Intelligent Agencies will snoop the
> packets...
>
> I believe that people are chowing out the US Government (as they got
> caught last) - to move attention from the fact that other governments
> are also doing the same thing or wishing they could do the same - and
> would if they technically could.
>
> Being English - I guess I have the attitude that as I'm not doing
> anything "wrong" in the Internet - my data should pass beneath the
> radar. I (hmm..) trust my government. Of course certain entities could
> be (OK - probably are) using my data for nefarious purposes...
>
> Its going to happen, or rather is and has been happening for years.
> The Internet is just more efficient and the world just a bit smaller.
>
> --
>   .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
>  /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE
> / |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496

Mwendwa Kivuva
twitter.com/lordmwesh
google ID | Skype ID: lordmwesh