[kictanet] NSA Tapping into Google & Yahoo Networks? How is Kenya protected?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 16:53:28 EAT 2013

@Sammy,

You've lost me.  I agree with what you say below, that I am confused and still searching for the point of disagreement...

walu.
On Thu, 10/31/13, Sammy Buruchara <buruchara at me.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [kictanet] NSA Tapping into Google & Yahoo Networks? How is Kenya protected?
 To: "Walubengo J" <jwalu at yahoo.com>
 Cc: "KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions" <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
 Date: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 11:24 AM

 Mr. Walubengo,

 While not present at the IGF, and without a lot hesitation,
 I respectfully
 disagree with the view you have shared, that was taken at
 IGF in relation
 to securing countries.

 While there is a need for international cooperation,
 National Security at
 the end of the day is a matter for individual countries with
 various
 priorities in regard to their security.
 This also has an impact in terms of relationships between
 countries.
 Therefore it would be ill-advised to through security
 concerns to
 "International"  where we know exactly what that term
 refers to.

 Whereas the Internet has crossed boundaries, countries still
 operate
 within their borders and laws govern within those borders.
 The push for
 internationalization or globalization has been going on for
 a while but
 that is a subject for another day.

 But while each country may not need to build their own email
 systems ( and
 they should) there is a need for countries to develop their
 own online
 applications and security systems instead of depending on
 those from other
 countries for obvious reasons highlighted very well in
 recent news media.
 One would be foolish to continue relying on popular western
 online
 services for example, for a government's Mission Critical
 communications
 and would only blame themselves for consequences of such
 strategies.

 Regards
 Sammy Buruchara

 On 10/31/13 11:10 AM, "Walubengo J" <jwalu at yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 >@Phares,
 >
 >this line of thinking was has been explored recently at
 the IGF and I had
 >a different angle to it and I quote:
 >

 >Whereas having each economy build its own email, social
 media and other
 >web-based systems may provide national pride and a
 debatable sense of
 >national security, it unfortunately goes towards
 balkanising the Internet
 >along existing national geographic boundaries.
 >
 >The final effect will be a diminished value for online
 services. Search
 >engines will end up with only a localised or national
 view of data, as
 >opposed to the more international view currently enjoyed
 by keeping the

 wrote:

 > Subject: Re: [kictanet] NSA Tapping into Google &
 Yahoo Networks? How is
 >Kenya protected?
 > To: jwalu at yahoo.com
 > Cc: "KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions" <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
 > Date: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 10:09 AM
 >
 > I¹ll very selfishly
 > advocate for an increased uptake of local cloud
 services,
 > away from the NSA¹s prying eyes, with locally
 established
 > standards of encryption etcŠ
 > We¹ve got capable
 > universities that can assist in coming up with new
 > encryption etc standards for the military &
 > government.
 > Interesting article by
 > Charles
 > ObboŠ.
 >http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/Spy-more-on-your-friends-than-foes/-/
 >440808/2053660/-/j8oy4g/-/index.html
 >  --
 > Phares Kariuki
 >  From: Ngigi
 > Waithaka Ngigi Waithaka
 > Reply: Ngigi Waithaka
 > ngigi at at.co.ke
 > Date: October 31, 2013 at
 > 9:12:10 AM
 > To: Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
 > Subject:  [kictanet] NSA
 > Tapping into Google & Yahoo Networks? How is Kenya
 > protected?
 >

 > Listers,
 >

 > Just came across this
 >http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-infiltrates-link
 >s-to-yahoo-google-data-centers-worldwide-snowden-documents-say/2013/10/30/
 >e51d661e-4166-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html?hpid=z1
 >

 > It looks like Google might have been caught by the NSA
 > with
 > their pants down since hacking into their Data
 Transport
 > layer
 > simply gives up all the secrets that encryption is
 supposed
 > to be
 > protecting.
 >

 > Now, moving on swiftly to the local setup, I am also
 > concerned
 > that even as we look to start pushing for National
 Standards
 > of
 > Encryption through the PKI project, whether we as a
 country
 > have
 > come together to review and see how to protect our
 countries
 > intelligence and data.
 >

 > We also know for a fact that the US was busy tapping
 > into
 > World Leaders phones, and I can bet if there are a few
 > presidents
 > to be 'tapped' in Africa, ours should be way up on
 > that
 > ladder!
 >

 > However, more worrying would be, how protected are our
 > internal networks from such tapping, even from locals?
 Could
 > there
 > be a guy who has tapped into Safaricoms internal
 network and
 > is
 > busy reading every email, chat that is flying through
 and
 > perhaps
 > selling such information to our erstwhile enemies the
 > Al-Shabbab?
 >

 > I was once very surprised when a personal friend got a
 > transcript of all his calls, and chat messages,
 > word-for-word for
 > the previous past 6 months, dug up from one of the
 local
 > Telcos.
 > The ease with which such information was availed
 appalled me
 > as it
 > clearly means that the Telcos clearly store all our
 chats,
 > and such
 > records in clear text months after we have used them
 and a
 > guy with
 > basic SQL knowledge just needs to hack into the
 network
 > (easy) and
 > call them up.
 >

 > So, as we continue with the PKI project, there are
 > really very
 > basic things on security of data that we as a nation
 > haven't even
 > dealt with.
 > --
 >

 > Regards,
 >

 > Waithaka
 > Ngigi
 >

 > Chief Executive Officer
 > | Alliance
 > Technologies | MCK Nairobi
 > Synod
 > Building
 >

 > T +
 > 254 (0)
 > 20 2333 471 |Office
 > Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M +
 > 254 737 811 000
 >

 > www.at.co.ke

 >https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/pkariuki%40gmail.com
 >

 > The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a
 > multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions
 > interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation.
 The
 > network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the
 ICT
 > sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled
 growth
 > and development.
 >

 > KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of
 acceptable
 > behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect
 > people's times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't
 > flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not
 spam,