[kictanet] [eThinkTankTz] Uganda has the cheapest Broadband Internet in E-Africa.

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 19 18:06:51 EAT 2013

@Dr. Zaipuna,

I can tell you are a true scholar from your consistent and persistent approach :-).   Defining and agreeing on what is Broadband Internet is indeed the first step to harmonizing research in this domain.

Again, ITU (apologies for quoting what appears to be a discredited ITU*) in the same publication observes that Broadband meant different things across the 200 economies /countries sampled. With the observation that only 30% of the world giving its definition of broadband as a minimum link of 2Mbit/s - the rest advertising it as below this figure.

The situation gets murkier when ITU observes that the said broadband service can be offered over fixed-line(fiber/copper), fixed broadband(wireless), mobile broadband (GSM) amongst others.  To harmonize its ranking, ITU takes a re-calculated price of  1Mbits/s Fixed broadband (wireless) across the economies.

It further notes that in Africa, Mobile broadband is more common and provides another ranking based on 500MB and 1GB data bundles per month - of which East Africa is still at the bottom quarter of the food chain in terms of affordability :-) . Obviously data bundles (Volume based and caped) vs 1Mb/s "unlimited data" per month can spawn an entirely new debate within the context of broadband quality...and perhaps outside the scope of the esteemed Listers here.

As for WSIS targets, they look fine BUT again they must be normalized accross economies. Kenya may for example connect 20 of its 40Universities to the Internet while say Uganda connects say only 15Univerisities. However, if Uganda has a total of 15Universities, it will have connected 100% of its Universities while Kenya  will have connected only 50% of its universities :-)

Finally, plse share the actual Research ICT Africa report. What you shared was a comprehensive newspaper article on the same but am sure it missed other details (methodology, sample size, margin of error, etc) which could be useful to me.

walu.
*Disclosure: I have disagreed with ITU on several issues but on Telecommunication, I am yet to come across another agency with a such a global experience and reach in telco data-gathering and analysis.