[kictanet] Is SA Department of Education taking a reasonble step?

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Fri Oct 11 10:53:32 EAT 2013

The same African curse.

You have a homegrown OS of International recognition, Ubuntu, for free, but
you want to spend money to acquire another solution, developed in another
country at a cost!

Simple, there is no money to be made if you recommend Ubuntu so you
recommend that which will give you the 'cut'!

On the other hand Delphi is a super platform and land language to start-off
with, clean and teaches the art of programming quite elegantly.

Regards

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

> That is a tragedy for South Africa. Locking to MS Office suite, and
> Windows for that matter is anti-competition and backwards. It's a
> shame for a country that produced the world renown Ubuntu Linux.
>
> For Delphi, it's not as bad since what we need is kids introduced to
> programming concepts. Pascal like code is very good for beginners for
> it's English like notation is less abstract. But the students should
> be able to branch out to more robust and modern languages. I wonder
> what computer language is predominant in Kenyan Secondary School
> certificate.
>
> On 10/10/2013, Brian Ngure <brian.ngure at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just read this story on Slashdot. Link:
> >
> http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/10/09/1648218/south-african-education-department-bans-free-and-open-source-software
> >
> > One comment that caught my eye:
> > http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=4319437&cid=45083711
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM, John Kariuki <
> > ngethe.kariuki2007 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Here is an article talking about the South African department of
> >> education
> >> banning the use of Open Source software in schools.
> >>

> http://www.webaddict.co.za/2013/10/09/south-africa-education-department-bans-open-source-software/
> >>

> >> John Kariuki

> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/brian.ngure%40gmail.com
> >>
> >> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> >> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> >> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> >> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> >> development.
> >>
> >> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
> >> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
> >> bandwidth,
> >> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
> do
> >> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke