[kictanet] Bringing down the cost of Internet

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Wed Oct 9 20:59:34 EAT 2013

Ndemo,

The timing of A4AI is welcomed, we hope it effects reaches all one way or
the other in Africa. This is my hope and I personally I think it can
achieve a lot especially in supporting regulatory processes and ensuring
that the universal access fund can be a reality in many communities that
require that especially for the growth in our education and health care
delivery.

Peace

Poncelet

On 9 October 2013 17:51, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bwana,
>
> I have been following A4AI for a couple of months now, am glad to hear
> you are on board.
>
> Listers, FYI, here are the policy positions they are taking:
>
> http://a4ai.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4AI-Best-Practices-launch1.pdf
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Bitange Ndemo <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
> > Listers,
> >
> > I am in Nigeria for the launch of the Global Alliance for Affordable
> > Internet (A4AI) which I was appointed the Honorary Chair.  This is a
> > diverse and truly global coalition committed to driving down the cost of
> > internet access in less developed countries. We believe that, while
> > technological solutions are advancing rapidly, policy and regulations
> > remain a significant barrier to affordable internet. A4AI seeks to create
> > the conditions for open, competitive and innovative broadband markets
> > through a combination of advocacy, research and knowledge-sharing. When
> we
> > succeed, we will help to lower access costs to meet the UN Broadband
> > Commission target of broadband access priced at less than 5% of monthly
> > income, thereby helping billions more to come online and unlocking
> > significant socio-economic benefits.
> >
> > Why is A4AI needed?
> > “Estimates suggest that as much as two-thirds of the world’s population
> is
> > not connected to the internet, with penetration rates in less developed
> > countries averaging around 31%. In Africa, this figure drops to 16%
> (while
> > in in Kenya we are approaching 40% Liberia is at .5%) and in the world’s
> > 49 least developed countries, over 90% of people are not online. (Source:
> > ITU 2013) and (Broadband Commission 2013)
> >
> >  “Most often, this is for affordability reasons. In developed nations,
> the
> > average cost of broadband internet access is around 1-2% of monthly
> > household income - less than a daily coffee. In less developed countries,
> > this figure skyrockets to over 30%, and in 17 countries a basic internet
> > connection can cost well over 100% of average monthly income. Overcoming
> > this digital divide is critical so that technology and innovation can be
> > harnessed to accelerate progress in areas such as education, food
> > security, job creation, public health, and gender equity.”
> >
> > On A4AI’s goals:
> >
> > “Our primary focus is to reach the UN Broadband Commission Broadband
> > Target of entry-level broadband services priced at less than 5% of
> average
> > monthly income. In doing so, we hope to enable billions of people to come
> > online (with a particular focus on low-income countries) and make
> > universal access a reality.
> > On Strategy:

> [...]

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240