[kictanet] Creating a new Silicon Valley

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 09:42:00 EAT 2013

I tend to find all this talk of silicon savannah and gleaming tech capitals
to be rather tiring and quite myopic in my opinion.

It is fine to have big dreams but at the same time this needs to be
accompanied by boots on the ground doing actual work. And the work needs to
be to the benefit of the majority of citizens not an amorphous grouping
called the wananchi.

Its really the simple things. Clear the trash from the cities. Whatever it
takes, laws, crackdowns, community cleaning saturdays whatever is
necessary. Having sewage in the Nairobi river in the 21st century is rather
daft. At the same time pursue transparency at all levels of government.
Have the parliamentarians use the electronic voting systems in their
200,000 bob seats. That way we know who did not hesitate to add taxes to
milk. Open the land registry for scrutiny by the public. Let me be able to
sit at a pc in nyeri and look up my parcel of land and query its
encumberances. For free.

Regulate public transport or nationalise it if thats too difficult. Matatus
are not efficient.

Trying to emulate the Japanese, Israelis with zero of their discipline is
like trying to learn kung fu by watching it on tv.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Ngigi Waithaka <ngigi at at.co.ke> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Here is a good read on what Israel is doing to create the next Silicon
> Valley at the Negev Desert.
>

> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-israel-is-rewriting-the-future-of-cybersecurity-and-creating-the-next-silicon-valley/?tag=nl.e098&s_cid=e098&ttag=e098&ftag=TRE126e25f
>
> I would hope someone incharge is doing a competitive analysis on this
> viz-a-viz our Konza dream???
> --
> *Regards,*
>
> *Wait**haka Ngigi*
> Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod
> Building
> T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737
> 811 000
> www.at.co.ke

Regards,

Mark Mwangi