[kictanet] Incompetence gallore - Management of Information Systems

James Kulubi jkulubi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 19:30:51 EAT 2013

A majority of us assume that the hardware
that runs our information resources and industrial processes is always perfect.
As a result, when faults occur, as was the case of IEBC early this year, we
rush to blame the software and the system developers. However it is now
becoming obvious that counterfeit electronic industry is rapidly expanding and
some faults in our communications, security and industrial systems may be as a
result of counterfeit electronic parts. To make matters worse, we, in Kenya, have
perfected the art of making last minute purchases of mission critical systems.
“A 2010 U.S.
Department of Commerce report on counterfeit electronics in the Department of
Defense supply chain noted that between 2005 and 2008 the number of companies
reporting incidents involving counterfeit chips more than doubled. In February
2012, market-intelligence firm IHS iSuppli stated that “reports of counterfeit
parts have soared dramatically in the last two years,” with “1363 separate
verified counterfeit-part incidents” reported worldwide in 2011.”
Click here to
read more ...http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/the-hidden-dangers-of-chopshop-electronics/?utm_source=techalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100313
Regards
Prof. James Kulubi, Reg. Eng (K), MIEEE