[kictanet] Have we failed the nation yet again? - the inzi issue

Bitange Ndemo bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Oct 2 23:04:52 EAT 2013

Military does invest in R&D through Universities.  Great ideas are
incubated, supported financially and intellectually.  Academics mill
around good ideas and help advance them.  That is why Zukerberg moved from
Harvard to Silicon Valley where he was supported by the Universities
around there, the Government through Small Business Administration
financed the incubation.  Now the Government is reaping the benefits of
taxes from thousands of employees working there.

Why do then debate so much on the merits and demerits of Konza.  India is
building a Konza in every state.  Ushahidi was a great idea that we lost a
chance to incubate and support its R&D plus financing its growth.
Unfortunately, not many Kenyans know this great idea.  Universities that
teach computer science hardly know new research areas to support the
vibrant ICT activities in the country.  How do we build an effective
triple helix?  How do we get the universities to do research that have a
meaning to its people?

Ndemo.