[kictanet] Incompetence gallore - goes public

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 16:41:13 EAT 2013

What is wrong with this photograph?

The traffic control devices in late 1860s to early 1900s
The first traffic control device appeared near the British House of Parliament at the intersection of George and Bridge Streets. The device was made
on highways. The device had lights and it used arms which extended
outwards. It was operated manually by a police officer. The signal was 22 feet high and crowned with a gas light. The light was called the semaphore and had arms that would extend horizontally that
commanded drivers to "Stop" and then the arms would lower to a 45
degrees angle to tell drivers to proceed with "Caution". At night a red
light would command "Stop" and a green light would mean use "Caution".[7] The man behind this new and different invention was John Peake Knight a railroad engineer. The main reason for the traffic light was that there was an overflow of horse drawn traffic over Westminster Bridge which forced thousands of pedestrians to walk next to the house of Parliament.[8] Sadly Knight’s invention was not to last long. After only a month of
use the device exploded and injured the police officer who was operating the light. In the first two decades of the 20th century semaphore
traffic signals, like the one in London, were in use all over the United States with each state having its own design of the device. One good example was from Toledo, Ohio in 1908. The words “Stop” and “Go” where in white on a green background and the lights had red and green lenses illuminated by kerosene lamps for night travelers and the arms where eight feet above ground.[9] Controlled by a traffic officer who would blow a whistle before changing the commands on this signal to help alert travelers of the change the design was also used in Philadelphia and Detroit.[10] The example in Ohio was the first time America tried to use a more
visible from of traffic control that evolved the use of semaphore. The
device that was used in Ohio was designed based off the use of railroad
signals.[11]

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd