[kictanet] CCK PUSHES LOCAL FIRMS TO HOST WEBSITES LOCALLY

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Nov 27 18:32:09 EAT 2013

Well I wish to throw my weight on this debate.

CCK's motive might be noble, but their approach, and the people making this
unilateral calls might not be very informed. All of us would love our
content to be hosted locally, makes sense in terms of pricing - No
international data transit costs, creates employment, and we get to host
all content in the region. But local content has no bearing on cyber-crime.
Its ridiculous if not funny.

What CCK should advocate, promote, and push for, is an enabling
environment, an environment where Ali Hussein can setup a server firm to
rival IBM cloud computing, Rackspace, or 1&1 Internet. This we have
preached on this list countless times. And we all know what needs to be
done, cheap affordable energy (forget about green energy, the west preaches
to us about it but does not practice it - and we've auctioned all our coal
to the Chinese in exchange of solar panels), affordable and reliable real
broadband connectivity, government subsidies in the industry, e.t.c. This
sounds like the Konza dream.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya.
twitter.com/lordmwesh
google ID | Skype ID: lordmwesh