[kictanet] Day 1: On-line debate on African Union Convention on Cyber Security (AUCC)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 00:39:53 EAT 2013

Good morning Listers

Further to the announcement we made last Friday, we now commence this one week discussion on the
African Union Convention on Cyber Security(AUCC)http://pages.au.int/sites/default/files/AU%20Cybersecurity%20Convention%20ENGLISH_0.pdf on multiple lists of KICTANet and
ISOC-KE, in Kenya and on I-Network list moderated by the Collaboration on International ICT
Policy in East and Southern Africa (CIPESA)
and ISOC -Uganda.

Background to the African Union
Convention on Cyber Security (AUCC)

African Union (AU) convention (52 page document) seeks to
intensify the fight against cybercrime across Africa in light of increase in
cybercrime, and a lack of mastery of security risks by African countries.
Further, that one challenge for African countries is lack of technological
security adequate enough to prevent and effectively control technological
and informational risks. As such “African States are in dire need of innovative
criminal policy strategies that embody States, societal and technical responses
to create a credible legal climate for cyber security”.

The Convention establishes a framework for cybersecurity in
Africa “through organisation of electronic transactions, protection of personal
data, promotion of cyber security, e-governance and combating cybercrime”
(Conceptual framework).
As an additional reference to the earlier ones, please find attached a letter that was sent to the AU by the Center for Intellectual Property and Information Technology law and Strathmore University school of law.

We begin the discussion with Part 1 on Electronic transactions. Today, we will discuss two out of four articles from this section.

Section III: Publicity by electronic means

 Article I – 7:

 Without prejudice to Article I-4 any advertising
action, irrespective of its form, accessible through online communication service,
shall be clearly identified as such. It shall clearly identify the individual
or corporate body on behalf of whom it is undertaken.

Question: Should net
anonymity be legislated? If
so, what measures need to be or not be considered?

Question: Should
individuals or companies be obliged to reveal their identities and what are the
implications?

Article I – 8:

The conditions governing the possibility of promotional
offers as well as the conditions  for participating in promotional
competitions or games where such offers, competitions or games are
electronically disseminated, shall be clearly spelt out and easily accessible.

Question: Should an international (or should we call it regional) law legislate on promotional offers and competitions
offered locally?
Over to you Listers. Let us engage and make concrete suggestions.
A great week to you all.RgdsGG