[kictanet] AU Cyber-security Convention ignores practical reality

Daudi Were daudi.were at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 11:05:29 EAT 2013

Grace,

Thanks for highlighting this oppressive draft convention. We must try our
best to ensure it is not adopted in January.

One of the main problems with this draft convention is it was drafted in
secret by a team who so far have remained secret. No public consultations
were done as far as we can tell.

The draft convention is bad for Africans and bad for African businesses
(and even businesses who operate in Africa).

The AU draft contains clauses that will result in;

   1. Violation of the right to privacy.
   2. Violation of the right to freedom of expression
   3. Legislation overkill especially the unjustified burden the law will
   have on the individual
   4. Similarly there shall be an unjustified burden on corporations as a
   result of legislative overkill in the AUDCCSC
   5. The granting of absolute powers of judges: This will form a basis for
   unjust civil liberties curtailment and for procedural flaws in the AU draft
   convention

This blog http://daucc.wordpress.com/ is a strong resource on the draft
conventions and actions being taken to campaign against it.

Thanks

Daudi Were | daudi at were.co.ke
Technology + Strategy
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org