[kictanet] Should Kenya bite the bullet and roll back the Telkom Kenya Privatisation?

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Thu Nov 14 09:50:44 EAT 2013

Has Kenya really gotten anything from that Telkom deal? Orange has no real
plans for the Kenyan market, and worse the management teams they recommend
over are either totally incompetent or really don't care about the state of
Telkom Kenya.

What options do we have?
1. Let it go... Simply pull out. Cut our losses and ran. Indicate to Orange
we will not make anymore investment if we are not in-charge of it. If this
whittles down our shareholding to 0, so be it. Sometime though, I feel as
if this is exactly what Orange wants, then they can revive it nicely.
2. Kick them out. They simply have failed to deliver, then rebuild Telkom
as a Kenyan Parastatal that leads in technology and innovation and ofcourse
support it with certain preferences and especially so in Government jobs
and build a local 'M-Pesa' that is then used to make most of these
government transactions that we're supposed to be onto by 1st April 2014
(Could it be an April fools joke bytway???)

Waithaka Ngigi
A1.iO

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Listers
>
> By all intents and purposes this privatisation has not worked. Maybe we
> should go the Rwanda way and roll back the dice...
>

> http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Treasury-ignored-AG-advice-on-Telkom-deal/-/996/2072052/-/t06mrw/-/index.html
>
> Lessons learnt?
>
> Ali Hussein
>
> +254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113
>
> "Kujikwaa si kuanguka, bali ni kwenda mbele" (To stumble is not to fall
> but a sign of going forward) - Swahili Proverb
>
> Sent from my iPad

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke