[kictanet] 4G joint venture suffers setback as Safaricom pulls out

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Nov 8 05:15:57 EAT 2013

Listers

Safaricom has announced its intention to pull out of the 4G Network consortium claiming that the Government is taking too long in concluding the details of the agreement.

Maybe the ICT CS could enlighten us on what exactly the issue is?

This multistakeholder approach to ICT infrastructure is what we have been advocating for all along and I believe forms a cornerstone of our Broadband Strategy?

In this story Essar also claims to be frustrated by the slow pace of concluding this JV.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/4G-joint-venture-suffers-setback-as-Safaricom-pulls-out/-/539550/2063148/-/item/0/-/i609hoz/-/index.html

Can some one from ICTA/CCK enlighten us on what exactly is going on? As a country we should try as much as possible to ensure  that the Information Super Highway is a joint effort involving all parties. Can you imagine the chaos if we were to allow everyone to build their own roads?? This must be prioritized and the different players brought back to the table.

Ali Hussein

+254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113

"Kujikwaa si kuanguka, bali ni kwenda mbele" (To stumble is not to fall but a sign of going forward) - Swahili Proverb

Sent from my iPad