[kictanet] Marketing ICT in Kenya

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 17:59:34 EAT 2013

It is unfortunate that Kenya only had 2 apps in its entire arsenal Mpesa and Ushahidi just like our tourism remains about the Big 5.

On the positive side that is 1 app more than Mark Zuckerberg who said in an interview that he only has one app in him and if he gives it away is will have nothing to live for just like many of our developers.

I was at DEMO Africa and of all the Kenyan solutions only 1 (www.sleepout.com) could have a global impact all the rest were the usual run of the mill systems.

When compared to those from South Africa (www.zehoo.me), Nigeria (www.otgplaya.com) and Egypt (www.eventtus.com) it was clear that we have not started developing serious applications yet.

It is time to stop lying to each other that we are a leading ICT destination and be critical of ourselves.

Trips have been made to Silicon Valley, MIT, Cyber City and many others but the only reason they happened was for a few fat cuts to earn air miles and per-DE-eem.

Fortunately all is not lost, at the Safaricom AppWiz Challenge I saw the seeds of hope that had found good soil in which to germinate, unfortunately since I was on the judging panel I cannot reveal what I saw until the final results are announced.

So Ngigi before we go off to foreign lands let us make sure we are not wearing the kings new cloths.

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor