[kictanet] 6,000 primary schools picked for free laptop project

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu May 30 11:45:50 EAT 2013

Listers,

This project seems to have just kicked off on the wrong tangent...was wondering how they would select WHICH primary schools would get the laptops and was shocked to read:

He (Kaimenyi, Cabinet Sec. for Education)  said the availability of electricity and nearness to the main grid was the basis used in deciding the schools selection criteria.
In every three schools with electricity connection, the ministry has
selected one school close to the mains grid and another one that is far
away from the grid....

>> adopted from http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000084770&story_title=6-000-primary-schools-picked-for-free-laptop-project&pageNo=2

Never mind that I thought these laptops would "solar-powered".  But now it looks like if you are lucky to live near an electricity pole, your luck doubles as you get a bonus benefit  of a laptop. If you happen to leave very far from one (think Pokot, Turkana, Tana River, Wajir, etc) your tough luck just got tougher.  I cant think of a better way of "extending" rather than "bridging" the digital divide..

walu.
nb: Mutoro:-sounds like you guys are going to have a very busy year in courts :-)