[kictanet] Internet Governance issues come out in the open in Kenya as Telkom Kenya & Google Clash

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu May 23 06:29:33 EAT 2013

Listers

This is of interest to all those who intend to start or are in the business of creating and owning content online.

This story which appears in the business daily highlights the pitfalls we face when business models start eroding and companies look for life lines without fully understanding what is disrupting their business models.

This particular issue of telcos demanding that content providers like Google, Facebook and Ma3Racer pay them for access was a major bone of contention during WCIT12.

So what you think?

Should we all pay the Telcos for the right to allow them to give their customers access to their content online? If this succeeds what is to stop Telkom Kenya or any other Telco to demand that if I want my little blog to be accessed by their customers I need to pay them access charges?

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Telkom-and-Google-clash-over-network-fee-demand/-/539550/1859038/-/24js3yz/-/index.html?goback=%2Egmp_4267747%2Egde_4267747_member_242979558

This is one of the reasons that Kenya didn't sign WCIT12. It is now interesting that the same argument is being raised by Telkom Kenya.

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad