[kictanet] Is CCK's move to renege on a promise to award a 3rd digital signal distributor license justified?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 22 10:46:20 EAT 2013

Hi,

Yes, especially since 2 is already tooooooooo many, it is justified as the consumer (@COFEK) suffered for many years when forced to purchase a myriad of antennae to receive the various signals transmitted from different directions (Ngong, Limuru, CBD, Kariadudu).

In addition the signal foot print for Startimes is already larger than that of all the analogue stations combined, we have devolved the government it is foolhardy to want to devolve the airwaves.

Signal transmission is not a competitive advantage but more a strategy by the incumbents to raise the barriers to entry (never knew I would ever use that statement) and stifle the growth of new entrants into the broadcast playing field.

With a single  digital signal distributor you will be able to setup AliTV for as little as Kes. 500,000/- per month for the signal distribution plus 5,000/- for a 2 MB local loop connection to the distributor.  The fear of the incumbents is that you might convince 10 of your friends to place adverts on your channel at 100,000/- per month instead of on the current channels at 100,000 for a 15 second slot, do the math.

Cofek needs to get off the road so this truck can finally run over the stifling incumbents once and for all, who is with me?

Regards

PS.  Those who do not fear teargas can join me for the demonstration, the rest can fund the activity (please inbox me for details) and for the rest you can +1 this.

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200