[kictanet] Would sorting out physical addressing lead to exponential growth in Nairobi?

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Mon May 20 13:02:05 EAT 2013

Ask the people who deliver things?

Naked Pizza and Hashmi have stored my address with my phone number - and
yes, it contains my formal street address plus the details on how to find
it. When I place an order, they reconfirm that I'm still at the same
address. Plus their delivery person usually has my phone number with him
just in case he gets lost (yay for technology - and pizza, obvs).

I think it's a bit more tedious the first time you order when you have to
give detailed directions - but if a company is smart and saves those, then
that cuts down on processing time with each additional order.

On 20 May 2013 12:49, Andy G <andy.gesora at gmail.com> wrote:

> So Nairobi is the most advanced city in East and Central Africa.... So JP
> Morgan has just been granted a licence to setup a rep office in Nairobi....
> So most of the iNGO's and corporates have set up in Nairobi.... So Nairobi
> is the pioneer in alternative payment systems aka mPesa....
>
> But does the lack of a physical addressing system stifle the potential in
> Nairobi? CCN previously tried  address most buildings in town, but no one
> ever quotes the "22 Kimathi Street" when corresponding.
>
> A majority of tech startups in Kenya today are web based, with mobile
> technology (payment systems) providing an overwhelming support system. A
> friend once quoted as saying 95% of his online payments were on mobile
> money. We have lots of tech companies that have tried building solutions to
> make it easier for Nairobi's consumers.... from ordering food online, to
> shopping, to casual labour, to ticketing... name it. But the achilles heel
> always remains addressing. Where do i as a tech startup owner send your
> goods to in Buruburu once you have bought? Or if i have a party and order
> for drinks online, how does someone deliver in some flats named "Pearl
> apartments" deep in langata on a nodescript dirt road?
>
> Would perhaps naming of streets and physical addressing help solve lots of
> issues in Nairobi as well as create many mid level startups and thus jobs
> that we are so desperately seeking?

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher

www.ratio-magazine.com